Monday, October 17, 2005

My Problem With People

Retro Thought --- A few weeks back, we had a party for Zach who was turning two, so I invited the children that were his age over to the house along with his cousins. My husband feels bad that the neighbors (big kids) next door and the neighbors across the street were not invited, so he goes and tells their parents that if they want, they can bring the kids over. So the neighbor across the street sends their two kids (by themselves) and the neighbor next door sends their four kids (by themselves). The kids come, stay for a few hours, eat, drink, and are merry. We send the kids home, and not one parent came to thank us for inviting them. I just think something is wrong there. If you, as a parent, send your child to someone else's house where they are being watched, fed and having fun; as a parent, you should be thankful enough to thank the people of that house >>that was less that you had to do with your kids for those few hours. Where's the parental etiquette? I don't know, am I being unrealistic?

So anyway, one of my neighbors car wouldn't start this morning; so being that my husband has his mother's car who is recovering from surgery, he offers to let them drive his truck. The neighbor returns the truck after a full workday of dropping off & picking up the kids to/from school and working; and brings me the keys and tells me that they didn't have time to get gas and to tell my husband to come over to get the gas money. What is that about? How don't you have time to get gas when your only transportation is our truck, and now you're home for the day? And why won't you just hand me the gas money along with the keys? What does my husband look like going to your house to ask for gas money? That's strange to me. Where's the thankful neighbor etiquette?

When you use someone's vehicle, you are supposed to put some gas in it at the very time you have it, whether by cash, debit or credit, but by no means are you to return it 'less than.' That gives people the impression like you feel like they "owe you something" and you're "not as thankful" as your mouth is saying you are.


“The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them. My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare.” (Psalm 25:14-15)

No comments: